Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Video Game Review: "Titanic: Adventure Out of Time" (1996)

    A Race to Alter History On a Ship Out of Time!

Rated T for Teen
   Though I've been pushing aside the drafts currently sitting in my post list, I just had to write a review on this video game! In a time of Xboxes and Wiis, Nintendos and Kinects, I'm still trying to keep it classy. As modern games (with lots of warfare) dominate living rooms, I decided to try out something that many of you will consider a dinosaur of its own -- Titanic: Adventure Out of Time.

   Many of you younger folks probably haven't heard of this game, but I know that you '90s people know exactly what I'm talking about. This game first made its soon-to-be successful appearance in 1996, when Windows was a big hit. (Nowadays, we resort to Apple or Macs.) In fact, this two-disc game can only be played on my old desktop, a prehistoric Gateway with Windows XP! Bet you haven't heard of that ancient computer in a while, huh? (I'm sorry, HP laptop. You've been replaced.)

   In the late 1990s, Titanic was slowly becoming more popular. With this PC game in 1996, James Cameron's world-renown box office smash, and the not-so-well-thought-of musical, the horrific tragedy of the sunken ocean liner was certainly making headlines. 

   Titanic: Adventure Out of Time was created by the company CyberFlix which sadly doesn't exist anymore. In the game you play the role of Frank Carlson, a  failed British agent struggling to make a living in 1942 England during the Second World War. After his disastrous mission on the Titanic twenty years ago, he's still praying for a second chance. But what if time could be changed? Soon you're whipped back in time to 1912 with a little more than two hours before the iceberg strikes. Your mission is to find four priceless objects which could help prevent three life-shattering events, and get them off the ship: a painting by Adolf Hitler, a copy of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, a pocketbook filled with names of Russian radicals, and a diamond necklace.

The graphics are simply stunning for that time period.
   ...Okay, so I lied. The diamond necklace can only help your ex-girlfriend from falling into a life of poverty. The others, however, can prevent disasters such as World War I, the Russian Revolution, and World War II. (If only Hitler was accepted in the University of Vienna... We could only wonder.)

   Throughout the game you meet many people, each with a different background and a different problem. Remember, the bad guy is that German dude by the name of Zeitel, but I wouldn't be too panicked about his protegee Haderlitz... Am I getting ahead of myself? Let us continue!

   In its peak of technology, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time could be compared to Titanic 3D (in my opinion of a crazy Titanic nut mind) -- people's jaws were simply dropping open. Could this possibly have any better effects?? Well...

See what I mean?
   I must say, the first time I got this game in 2011, I was psyched! I'd heard so many great things about it, but when my steward (whose name is Smethells) appeared, the first thing I did was laugh. It was almost disturbingly...realistic? The people were slightly animated, but the actors were recorded and then turned into...this. 

   By far, this game is probably one of the most accurate depictions of the Titanic that you could get. Don't get tricked into buying Hidden Mysteries: Titanic! That was an insult and I was so horrified by its many mistakes, which could've easily been fixed if the people studied their facts. Anyway, the display of the ship is so detailed and so precise, I was amazed.

So this is what it's like to be on the Titanic, huh? Since then, I've felt closer to the tragedy than ever before. 

Oh, and before I sign off, I must add a little something: OHMYGOD I'm so glad there was no steam coming out of the fourth funnel! (Truthfully the Titanic's fourth funnel was used to release small amounts of steam from the galleys; the rest were connected to the boiler rooms. In short,  the fourth funnel was basically inoperable.. Yet, in James Cameron's movie, there was black smoke coming out of it!!!)

 Adieu, goodbye, au revoir, ciao, adios... Auf Wiedersehen!








1 comment: